Interacting with the Fedora Directory Server is a matter of making use of one the following:
Software Development Kits
LDAP SDK packages designed for your language of choice that you could use for your application:
Direct integration into the operating system.
We don't advocate the use of any one of these tools over another. It is up to the individual to determine the utility of a given tool.
General LDAP Browsing and Administration Tools
Command Line Tools
- fdstools.pm (Perl Net::LDAP) - configure and monitor replication with encryption across several servers
- Read here for more information
Web LDAP Clients
GUI LDAP Clients
Commercial GUI LDAP Clients
- Migration To LDAP tools (Perl)
- pGina provides a way to make Windows login use an LDAP server (Unmaintained as of September, 2008)
Tools provided by the Fedora Directory Server
- Administrative Tasks
- Editing & Browsing LDAP Entries
- Export & Import LDAP Databases
- Backup & Restore
Managing an organisation's addressbook
You can use Fedora Directory Server to store a list of people in an organisation, with their email addresses. Various email clients can use LDAP to query this addressbook.